Fun pencil trivia:
- Henry David Thoreau's father owned a pencil-making business near Boston, and, yes Walden was written in pencil;
- The word pencil comes from the penicillus, which means little tail;
- An average pencil can draw a line 35 miles long;
- The modern pencil dates back to the year 1565;
- The mechanical pencil was patented in 1822; and
- Pencils were among the standard equipment issued to Union soldiers during the American Civil War.
For more pencil fun, take this TED Pencil Quiz.
Stay sharp, everyone!